How Far We've Come
The company started out in 1929 as an agency for the major clay pipe manufacturers of Ontario, at 220 Spadina Road, Toronto, and went under the name of Toronto Sewer Pipe Co. Ltd. On July 27, 1933 Builders' Supplies Limited was incorporated and the agency faded out (the agency was closed in 1935). The company was founded by Mr. Ryland H. New and was operated by his brother-in-law Mr. Henry Bickle.
Builders' Supplies Limited Rapid Growth Over the Years:
220 Spadina Road (Toronto) 1929 - 1960
79 Burlington (Mimico) 1933 - 1979
80 Howden Road (Scarborough) 1956 - Present
1011 Wilson Ave. (Downsview) 1964 - 1980
Locust Hill (Markham) 1975 (5 months)
8 Bram Court (Brampton) 1980 - 2000
643 Caledonia Road (Toronto) 1982 - Jan. 1989
110 Hwy. 20 East (Fonthill) 1985 - 1996
700 Elm Street (Port Colbourne) 1989 - 1990
2 Finley Road (Brampton) 2000 - 2005
Pacific Circle (Mississauga) 2000 - Present
321 Sheldon Drive (Cambridge) 2008 - Present
Division5Design at Pacific Circle 2008 - Present
Builders' Supplies Limited expanded into the Niagara Peninsula through the purchase of Fonthill Concrete Products Limited (Fonthill, Ontario) January 1, 1985, with possession taken February 15, 1985.
February 1, 1996, Jim Holmes and Peter Miles successfully completed a management buyout of Builders' Supplies, purchasing the assets of Builders' Supplies Toronto (Brampton & Scarborough).
In February 2008, Builders' Supplies formed an engineering company called Division 5 Design that offers engineered solutions and shop drawings for the steel framing industry.
On June 15, 2008 Builders' Supplies Limited expanded to the Cambridge market, opening a new location at 321 Sheldon Drive.
The company succeeded under the daily management of the following people:
1933 - 1954 Mr. H. Bickle President & General Manager
1955 - 1962 Mr. F. Stanners Yard Manager
1963 - 1976 Mr. H. Reid Vice-President & General Manager
1977 - 1987 Mr. J. Murphy General Manager
1987 - 1996 Mr. J. Holmes Vice-President & General Manager
1996 - Present Mr. J. Holmes President
1996 - Present Mr. P. Miles Vice-President